Sunday, August 30, 2009

BPL: Match Day 5

So it took a penalty and an own goal to tame Arsenal at Old Trafford? Well, yes and I am not that bothered!


Manchester United overcame a one-goal deficit to spoil Arsenal's perfect start to the season. A 40th-minute strike from Arsenal Arshavin gave the Gunners a half-time lead. In a space to five minutes in the second half, two goals, one a penalty and the other an own-goal, turned the match match around. United's goalkeeper made a string of saves to keep the Gunner's score to that sole goal. The end of the game was no less dramatic. With just 30 seconds remaining on the clock before the end of the injury time, I remarked to a friend that it would be cruel if Arsenal scored. Imagine my horror, not long after that, when I saw the ball hit the back of United's net. All sorts of expletive came out from my mouth and colours must have drained from my face. When the camera focussed to that raised flag, I was glad that it was raised. And the sight of Arsene Wenger being ushered off from the dug-out was a sight I could not forget easily. And the look of the Gunners' fans, who cheered and pointed at the Red Devil fans' faces as the ball hit the net, when they realised that the Gunners had lost was priceless.

The win continued Manchester United's revival from that unnecessary loss to Burnley. The win also returned them to the third spot in the table.


Manchester United's next BPL match will be against the league topper, Tottenham Hotspurs at White Hart Lane on Saturday, 12 September. That should be another cracking match!


No comments: