Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Unnecessary MC......

I am currently off from work for at least two days. I have an eye infection which prevents me from being able to do the things that I would normally do. I couldn't really get out in the sun much so that would prevent me from driving; I could not sit in front of the PC monitor for too long so that would prevent me from doing much work as I rely on the computer for 70% of my work.

It all started on Monday morning, when my right eye felt gritty. Over time, it got worse and it was during the weekly departmental meeting that the eye got really itchy and I obviously rubbed my eye, thinking it was nothing serious. I could not get out of the meeting and as soon as I finished my meeting I took off my contact lenses. The damage had been done, I could not see properly and walking in the sun towards the car for lunch was really difficult. I could not open my right eye too much as it would hurt. 

In the evening, I could not bear it any longer and went to the hospital. I got my eye irrigated and I had an eye patch over my right eye.... arrrr matey! I was given a one-day medical leave and was asked to come back to the eye clinic today.

At the eye clinic, I was told that I had an infection on my right eye. It was probably caused as I had recently changed the brand of my disposable monthly contact lens. The eye doctor explained that once my eyes got used to one particular brand of contact lenses, it would be difficult to switch to another brand. It had something to do with the sterility of the solution as well. My body might have thought that it was a foreign body that it started to react against the contact lens. I was given some antibiotics eye drops and another day of medical leave. I was asked to come back on Thursday for a follow-up.

I have not realised that changing contact lenses could have caused the infection. For all you contact lens wearers out there, please follow the necessary precautions and tips on contact lens use closely. Click here for more info. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* I hope you feel better soon. I have changed contact lens brand quite a few times but was fortunate to encounter a reaction like yours. Hmm... are you using monthly disposables? How often do you change your contact lens holder?

kesian.... rest your eyes :)

Anonymous said...

u failed to mention that u managed to play badminton in between the time after work and finally deciding to go to the hos in the evening. hehehehe

Anonymous said...

CL: Yeah, I'm using the monthly disposables and I don't normally get this when I change the brand. But have to be more careful. I change the holder everytime I open a new bottle of contact lens solution. Yeah, need to rest the eyes.

Kakarrot: well, I didn't want to drive home while the sun was still out and I had to do something while waiting for it to get dark, so I played badminton, and quite badly at it too!