Sunday, October 26, 2008

Now it's gone.....

I picked this up from Blacksnail's Blog and thought I might share it here. 

How many of you realised that there was this mysterious, unmarked and fenced grave right in the middle of Bandar Seri Begawan? It was located right in front of the General Post Office.

Many speculations were around of whose grave it was; at one time I was told that it belonged to a 'witch' (nenek kebayan) and another it belonged to an Ulama. I also heard stories that every Thursday night, you could see smoke rising from the grave; something that I didn't think ever got verified.  

Brunei Resources wrote about it, and since he was quite an historian himself, I tend to believe his version of the story.

Anyway, Blacksnail reported that the whole grave might have been removed. 

(Picture was taken from Blacksnail's Blog)

So what happened? Shouldn't it be kept as an historical site? 

It looks like the relevant authorities here do not feel the need to preserve and maintain historial places/buildings in Brunei. I was dismayed when the old Churchill Memorial Building was turned into the Royal Regalia Building. I was quite disappointed when the old building of Ministry of Finance in Bandar was renovated and the outer walls were covered by metal sheets. The old Police Station in Kuala Belait was torn down a while ago when it could have been used for something else.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with u! the MOF looked much better last time.. and i miss Churchill Museum.
but Smoke every Thursday?? that's freaky..