Monday, March 30, 2009

The bother with eczema…..

I am currently having another bout of eczema, which flared up after being put under control in the past month.

I first started having problems with eczema about two and a half months ago. I never had any problems with eczema ever before, so it came as a surprise when the skin doctor told me that I had eczema. Apparently, it could happen to just about anyone, even if you never had it before. It could be hereditary too; if someone in your family had it before, there was a good chance you might have it. Eczema could be also be triggered by the things that you eat or the place in which you work or live. Anyway, I was given some anti-histamine tablet and some steroid cream to contain the eczema outbreak. After a few visits, it did not seem to go away, but rather it looked the doctor was trying to control the outbreak from spreading further.

I do not know if this is related; last Friday I joined the company’s fun run outing at Bukit Shahbandar and I, and most other people, was bitten a lot by sandflies. As a result, my legs were covered by sandfly bites and they got itchy over the weekend. Then on Sunday, it got slightly worse. I met up with a friend who had a similar problem but got it under control after visiting a private clinic. She encouraged me to visit the clinic, which was exactly what I did this morning. I got some steroid pills, which provides higher dosage than the steroid cream. I also got this apparently ‘secret’ cream concocted by the physician at the clinic.

Now, I am trying to see if this treatment regime works. At the same time, I am switching my shower gel to something more potent, which cost me an arm and a leg. And it looks like that I will be covered with lotions as I was told that my skin is extra dry and I need to keep it constantly moisturised!


No comments: