Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Being burgled

I just heard a news that a friend's house had been broken into. To make things worse, the burglary occurred while she was at home. She lost her Macbook, some cash and probably one of her car keys.

It is also very upsetting to go through this. I had my own experience too. When I was in UK doing A-levels, I was staying in a hostel, right in the city centre. The hostel belonged to the school which I was attending and it was attached to a hotel next door. There was some security, where you would have to use a card to go through the main door or buzz in to the hotel reception. Anyway, a day not long after I got back from Brunei, I got home after school only to discover that the contents of my luggage were all over the floor. It took a while to discover that my room had been broken into as I discovered later that my mobile phone, a radio/cd player set and some smaller items were missing. I was really upset and stayed away from my room for a few weeks, only to return to sleep in the evenings. I made a report to the police, but obviously nothing was discovered and I heard nothing about it after that.

My family also had a similar experience. It was somehow bizarre; the whole family was at home and even some of the items take were placed by the side of some people or placed on the bedside table. The burglars managed through a window which they forced open. We also found that the burglars had also eaten in the kitchen and a pair of slippers were found near the front door. We were told that these were the signs that the burglars probably used some 'witchcraft' to make us unaware of the burglary (in Malay, it would be called 'pukau'). Again, the police was called in and nothing was heard after that.

I found this website, where you might find some tips to prevent the occurrence of burglary at home.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

To this friend of mine, I am sorry to hear about your house. And it is very upsetting to know that your privacy and your abode have been invaded. I do hope that your lost items are recovered.

No comments: