Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The bother with cracked windscreen

My car’s windscreen was hit by a projectile, perhaps a stone, as I was driving along a highway not too long ago. I was not following too near to the car in front of me, but we were travelling in excess of 120km per hour. At the same time, there were some grass cutting activities on the roadside. All of a sudden, I heard that ‘click’ sound that seemed to come from the windscreen and I noticed a spot appeared towards the bottom right-hand corner of the windscreen. As soon as I arrived at my destination, I checked the windscreen and sure enough, there was a chipped spot of the windscreen.

Then yesterday, I sent the car for a carwash. Perhaps they must have rubbed too hard on the screen, or perhaps the cold-hot condition made it worse, I noticed a line of crack had propagated from the chipped spot. Somehow, as I was driving, the line got longer and I could actually heard some sound, which I was sure, came as the crack developed longer. Made a quick phone call to the car’s agent and managed to arrange for a replacement.

I got my windscreen covered under the car insurance. I am planning to get the whole charges (cost of the windscreen and the labour cost) reimbursed by the insurance company. However, that would mean I would lose my No Claim Bonus (NCB) when I want to re-new my car insurance. I would not want to pay almost BND1000 for the windscreen, even if I wanted to save my NCB and save probably BND300 for my next insurance coverage.

No comments: