Saturday, August 23, 2008

To hell with Brontok....

Arrggghhhh....... I am having a serious worm problem.., not, not that kind of worm.




For the past two weeks, this pop-up kept coming up, which said "A virus was found" and the virus happened to be Win32 Brontok worm. Regardless of whatever I did (moved to chest, deleted, ignored and full scan of the system), it kept coming back. I had a Brontok Cleaner software installed, but it got rid of it and did not stop it from coming. I even switched my anti-virus software from Avast! to AVG Anti-virus and still the problem persists.

One of the things that I noticed that the pop-up always said the worm was residing in the external hard drive that I have attached to my desktop. But when I did the full system scan, the worm was found in other drives too.

Perhaps I have a few options to do now:
1. Do a full re-format on my hard-disks and re-install the whole OS and all the other programs, but this is a big job and something that I am reluctant to do.
2. Ignore it further but risking getting all the other computers in the network infected, if they are not already.
3. Buy a totally new desktop and moving the essential files to the new PC, but I am risking moving the worm with them.

Or do you have any experience dealing with this and successfully got rid of the worm? If you do, I would really appreciate it if you could share it with me. Email me here (at lunchgang@gmail.com).

I am really fed up and tired of doing clicking that Move to Chest button.

No comments: