Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Vantage Point

I am no Barry Norman or Jonathan Ross (for the uninitiated, these two gentlemen were movie critics on 'Film', a movie review television program on BBC when I was studying in the UK; I could not find the RTB/RTM equivalent of these men), but I will try to write a little something about one of the two movies that I watched over the weekend.

WARNING: May content spoilers!

My weekend gang and I watched Vantage Point at the Mall Cinema. It starred Dennis Quaid, Matthew Fox (he of the Jack Shephard fame from Lost) and Forest Whitaker (Academy Award Winner for 'The Last King of Scotland') among other actors that I did not really recognise. The movie revolved around an assassination attempt on the President of the United States of America during an international summit. The story was told from 5 different perspective, each from the different characters of the movie. The movie as a whole was good; I'd give it 7 out of 10. There were a few things that were nagging me till now. I am not a security expert, but having the most powerful man in the world appear on an outdoor stage during a summit to fight terrorism must be a crazy idea. Won't it be a security nightmare trying to ensure the safety of Mr. President during such event? Won't you think that the terrorists might want to show their might during the summit? And I think Matthem Fox's character in the movie is quite insignificant; I even thought he was in the movie to pull the ladies into the cinema.

Because the movie revolved around 5 different perspective of the same event, everytime a new perspective was to be told, the scene went back to the 'starting point' of that event. I overheard someone behind our row complaining that she was getting confused with the event getting told over and over again, tho from different perspective. There was also a point when someone shouted a character's name, as if to guess from whose perspective the movie was to be told.

Go ahead and watch the movie whenever you can. The Americans who spent USD22.8 million watching this movie over the 22nd Feb weekend and sending it to the top of the USA Box Office cannot be wrong, can they?

Watch the trailer here.

No comments: