Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Friends.....

I was doing some housekeeping on my home PC when I came across this folder, containing my emails with a group of friends. These are the friends that I have known since I first started my A-levels in the United Kingdom, way back in 1995.


As I went through the emails, which dated as far back as 1999, I could not help thinking that we had gone through a lot. We all went to schools in different parts of UK and we would meet up in London at least once a month. We were together towards the end of the upper sixth form and we were back in London for 'clearing', which was a process for students who had not gotten a place in the universities of their choices to finally get hold of a place in any university. During that time, we played a lot of card games and we would play until the early hours of the morning. I remember while playing this card game, we had the radio playing in the background and we heard that Princess Diana had been killed in a road accident. As with many circles of friends, it was inevitable that we would go through some ups and downs and sometimes we did not speak for weeks before we all patched things up. The thing about close circle of friends is that no matter how hurt you were, there would always be this feeling that all should be forgiven and forgotten.


The more emails I read, the more I was reminded that these friends provided me support and encouragement whenever I needed them. When I decided to switch my course from medicine to chemistry, they never told me that it was stupid decision; they supported me as I went through the embarrassment in having to tell people that I was not good enough to be a doctor. When my scholarship with the government was prematurely ended and I had to return to Brunei, these friends would send me emails to tell me that they missed me. When they found out that I was depressed as I had to start all over again in Brunei, they sent me emails encouraging me to get back to my feet. These are the same people who were there to lend me a listening ear and a shoulder to cry on as I went through my first breakup.


As I went through more emails, I realised that these friends are second only to my loved ones. They are now scattered all over the world; one is in the USA, one is in Ireland, one is in Singapore and they rest are in Brunei. Three of them are now happily married and two of them are mothers.


To you out there, thanks for being such great friends. I miss you all!




And last, but certainly not the least (no pun intended!).....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Macam familiar ja with the lady rah 2nd pic. Dentist kan? Ur girlfriend kah?

Anonymous said...

Anon: Yeah, she's a dentist. And yeah, she's one of my girl friends....!

Cookiedough said...

Bulge!!!! Hahahah from where did you dig up that picture???!!! Haha! Where was that? Cliffs of Moher kah?? Wasn't that the time when FD & I were in tears the first time you guys came down to Cork? You know, now I wish I had taken more pictures back then in our Ireland days. If you have anymore of us in Ireland, especially those of us in Galway, please share them....(but only among us lah tu ah...for ahemm...obvious reasons!) Hehe

Awww...Bulgie...I did get your heartfelt e-mail and I'm so touched even by this post. We certainly have been through a lot, not just with each other, but with the number of permutations among our Gang! And still we always seem to pick up where we left off, no matter how apart we've been. I think that's pretty special.

Dare I say it's been some 11 years now since we all started hanging out somewhat "unhealthily"?? Haha..anyway, I'd better stop now before I turn this into a blogpost by itself! Talk to ya soon :) And thanks again for this!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cookie,
Yup, that picture was taken around the time when we came down to Cork to visit you for the first time. And yeah, the floodgates were open at that time. Can't really remember the name, but perhaps it was Cliff of Moher.

I couldn't find my other pics. I think I left them in UK, so perhaps KylieFan might have them.

Catch you online soon!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bulgie,

I am thankful that one rainy journey late September 1997 I had you. True, old close friends are hard to come by, and for that I am grateful and feel blessed to have you.

Paris Disneyland - you organised everything for us back then. We are lucky, first time naik eurotrain and if not for you and kri, we would have not been able to have such a great time, siap sempat ke Paris. You are such a brilliant travel companion.

With your beautifully written and heartwarming email that I received and the fond memories of yesteryears, thank you my dear friend for always being there for me.

Do you still have that waterproof jacket we have to get ;)?

Selamat menunaikan ibadah puasa

Love
FD and family