Friday, September 26, 2008

50 Years of Masjid Omar Ali Saifuddin

Today marks the Golden Jubilee of Masjid Omar Ali Saifuddin. Opened on 26 September 1958 by the late Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin III, the mosque was on the building under Brunei's First National Development Plan. At that time, it cost almost BND8 million to build, using the best materials from all over the world. The marble was imported from Italy and the stained glass and the chandelier from the United Kingdom. When it was opened, more than 5000 faithful turned up to perform the first prayer to be held there, the Jumaat prayer. My father once told me that because there were too many people and too little place for ablution, many people actually performed the Friday prayer without having taken their ablution! 


In conjunction with the Golden Jubilee, the Postal Services Department issued commerative stamps and first day covers. I managed to get three sets which I gave to my dad. There was this special issue stamp worth BND50; I was considering to buy it, but decided against it as I am not an avid collector of stamps myself and neither is my dad.

There was also an event today that took place before Friday prayer, which His Majesty the Sultan attended. More events are being organised, including the opening of a gallery on the mosque at the Brunei Museum and a photography competition.

Read more about the Golden Jubilee celebration here.

No comments: