Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Another injury.....

Another day on the badminton court and I got another injury.

We had a friendly badminton match against a team of teachers from one of the schools in KB. During the last game of the match, I partnered my now-usual double partner, when I picked up a drop shot that one of the opponents had returned. My return was a bit too high and the player on the other side of the net hit my return with a smash. It happened so fast that I did not have time to cover my face with my racket or turn away as what I'd normally do nowadays since I seem to attract injuries. The shuttlecock must have been travelling with a speed and it hit me right above my left eye. I saw a white flash as I got hit and got blinded for a while. My left eye became red and the area where I was hit was starting to get swollen. I'd have continued playing but we trailed so far behind in that third set that it would be no much use to continue.

Fortunately, my face is not swollen; I got a cold softdrink can last night and applied it to the bit where I got hit and it seemed to have helped reduce the swelling. However, I felt like a vampire; I could not really get out in the sun as it would hurt my eye a bit.

Perhaps now I should consider wearing some eye protection while playing badminton. This was the fifth time that I got hit on my face by a flying shuttlecock.

Perhaps something like what Edgar Davids wore on the football pitch?


Or a pair of swimming google?



Or a pair of safety glasses?


Or perhaps my own prescription glasses?

Having said that, I would need something that I could fix securely as I move a lot while playing badminton and I would not want my eye protection to fly off in the middle of a rally.

No comments: