Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Multiracial Brunei?

On National Day, I had lunch with some of my Bruneian Chinese (not to be confused with Chinese from China, you know what I mean!) friends. The day being the National Day, our conversation naturally turned to what National Day meant to us.

One of my friends actually brought up quite an interesting fact. The fact that he noticed most, if not all, National Day banners that got erected around Bandar Seri Begawan did not bear any non-Malay face. We had the day's Borneo Bulletin and it contained National Day congratulatory messages. We went through every page and realised that my friend was right. As we drove around Bandar and we observed the same with the National Day banners.

Was it just a coincidence or was it a deliberate thing? Are non-Malay not considered Bruneians? Is Brunei really a multi-racial country as claimed by many travel guides and publications?

No comments: