Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Angels and Demons - Review

I finally got to watch Angels and Demons last weekend. I was pleasantly surprised when the authorities did not ban the movie at all, considering the heavy references to Roman Catholicism in the movie. When I watched it, I was convinced that they had made the right decision, as the movie was not offensive to any faith; kudos to the censorship board.

When we got our tickets, we were surprised to see that the movie was playing on the smaller screen and we thought that the screening would be limited. Rupanya, the cinema was playing it on the bigger screen too. 

So how was the movie? I was glad they made the movie that way. I felt Angels and Demons was better as a movie than it was as a book. You could spot quite some differences between the book and the movie. I was quite interested to see how they would adopt some parts from the book, which I felt was a bit too far fetched. SPOILER ALERT...... You could read wikipedia here about the storyline from the book and here about the storyline from the movie. One of the biggest difference is the part when the canister containing the anti-matter was brought skywards. You would be glad to know that the movie version was more conceivable and believable. 

The movie started off quite slowly. There were quite a lot of talking at the beginning of the movie; the two ladies next to me dozed off in the first 20 minutes of the movie. Well, it was a midnight show, but again don't come and watch it if you're tired!

Trivia: did you that CERN actually released a statement saying that their experiment with the Large Hadron Collider udner Switzerland was not dangerous and the anti-matter that they produced would not be as powerful depicted in the movie?

Anyway, I'd give Angels and Demons 7.5 out of 10 points.

No comments: