Thursday, February 26, 2009

Team GNR8 Badminton Tournament

In the past few weeks, I've been joining Jester and his friends for badminton. Jester and his friends formed this badminton team, called Team GNR8, two years ago. We would normally play on Sunday evenings and so far, I have joined them playing at the Centrepoint and the Dar Takaful IBB Building. The Centrepoint badminton hall has good lighting and atmosphere, but the badminton mats are old and the court lines are not aligned anymore. The badminton hall at the Dar Takaful IBB building is newer, but the lighting is not that good and it is hot in the hall. Just being there for a few minutes makes it feel as if you're in a sauna. There are no badminton mats; rather they have wooden flooring. The lines on the court are white and sometimes it can be quite difficult to see the lines. I have  never played at the PGGMB building but apparently it is the best place (which is easily accessible to general public) to play.

Last Sunday, the team organised the Second Team GNR8 Badminton Tournament. The first one was held almost two years ago as a farewell tournament before Jester left for UK and I was working in Bintulu at that time. A total of thirteen players took part, giving a total of six double teams. Why six? It was because one person had to leave early and had to be replaced. Each double team would play the other teams, thus playing in five games. Playing five games was not easy; by the time we all played the third games, everyone was already tired. I had not had lunch or dinner before the tournament and by the second set of the second game, my tummy hurt, probably because it was empty, and I had to rummage through my bag to find something to eat. In the end, all matches were completed just after 11.30pm! I was dead tired by the end of the evening, but I could not really sleep as probably adrenaline was still pumping through me.

The tournament was won by Jester's brother, Aziri and Hj Besar. Second-placed winners were Hazri and his father-in-law, Hj Bahar. Jester and his partners won the third place. I and Manon came in the fifth place (out of six teams).

Here are some pictures.....

The winners!

winners 

Some of Team GNR8 members

all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BM, thanks for taking part in the event. You're always welcome to join the weekly sessions. Bah, bila TM friendly with GNR8? hehe